Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Peach Gelato

You know the peaches that you buy, with high hopes that they will ripen a little more and be the perfect, juicy, sweet peach?  Well, I had those hopes, but these failed my expectations!  I watched them go from almost ripe to starting to shrivel.   They were not really sweet enough to eat on their own, but had a mild peach flavor.  They did not peel easily or separate from the pit well, so I assume they were just picked too early.  I peeled and cut them the best I could.    I used the same gelato recipe that I have used for strawberry and made a peach gelato.  With the sugar, the flavor was quite nice.  It still lacked the perfect juicy peach flavor, but was good.  I used 2% milk instead of whipping cream, so the gelato was much lighter.   The lower fat content of the milk did not take away from the gelato flavor or composition.

I am keeping my eye out for some perfect peaches, to try a few more peachy desserts and maybe can some.   When I was a kid, we would go to the peach orchard and buy the peaches - they were sooooo good.  Now, it is just a gamble at the store or fruit market, but I will keep trying!
Peach Gelato

No comments:

Post a Comment