Friday, October 3, 2014

Grandma's Cherry Cinnamon Cobbler

When Mr. SBQ and I were dating, he told me about this cobbler that his grandma made.  I am not a cobbler person, and was stuck on cherries and cinnamon candies in the same dish.  I am not sure if I let on that I didn't find it very appealing or if I just said "huh, interesting".   Fast forward several years and he found Grandma's recipe that she had sent him.  I looked at it and thought it might be ok, but I would surprise him and make it.  It didn't matter if I liked it or not, I would do it just for him.  Well, I was pleasantly surprised - it's very good!

The recipe calls for frozen or canned cherries, and the ingredients to make your own pie filling.  The store did not have canned or frozen sour cherries, so I just used a can of cherry pie filling.   I will confess that I forgot to put the brown sugar in the middle of the cinnamon rolls, with the butter and cinnamon, so I just sprinkled it on top.  Turned out just fine.

Cherry Cinnamon Cobbler
Filling:
one can of cherry pie filling (OR 1 can sour cherries, 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 c corn starch, 1/2 c water)
2-4 Tablespoons of cinnamon red candies (Brach's Cinnamon Imperials, red hots)

Heat the pie filling and cinnamon candies over low heat, to melt the candies.  I added a tiny bit of water (1 or 2 T?), stirring occasionally until candies are almost completely dissolved.   Place in the bottom of a square baking dish.

Cinnamon Rolls:
1 1/2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
6 T brown sugar (divided, 3 for dough and 3 for filling)
1/4 c shortening (unsalted butter)
1 slightly beaten egg
2 T milk
1 T soft butter (melted)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

The recipe also calls for 1/3 cup of pecans and 1/2 tsp of salt, but I did not use those.  Also, I used rice milk.

Combine flour, baking powder, and 3 T of brown sugar.  Cut in shortening/butter.  Combine egg and milk and add to flour mixture.  Mix until moistened, adding a few drops of milk if necessary.  (I did not add any more milk and did the final kneading with my hands.)   Roll out on a lightly floured surface, to a 14x12 rectangle.  Brush with the melted butter.  Combine 3 T brown sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over dough.  Roll up, cut into 3/4 inch slices, and place on the cherry filling.  Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes.  Glaze while warm.


Lemon Glaze:
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 T lemon juice
Mix together and drizzle over the cobbler after it comes out of the oven.



Cherry Cinnamon Cobbler

No comments:

Post a Comment