Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Whoopie Pies (Chocolate with Pink Vanilla Filling)

Finally, the whoopie pies based on the ones I grew up with!
These are also called Gobs, but I think whoopie pies sound so much better and more fun!

I made these for Little C's school Valentine's Party, so the vanilla filling is pink.  I have also made them with green mint filling.    I really prefer these over the ones I made last year, as they are not as rich, and the cakes are much more moist.

The filling is made with a flour paste which sounds unappealing at first, but is really nice.  The key is to keep mixing the filling so that it is fluffy and doesn't separate.  The second time I didn't mix it long enough and the filling wasn't as pretty.  The recipe even says to mix for 10 minutes, but I guess I overlooked that detail.  This last time, I put the mixer on med/high, set the timer for 10 minutes and walked away.  The filling looked good even before I added the pink.   

My recipe is based on one from the Pennsylvania Grange Cookbook.

Whoopie Pies
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cocoa
  • 1/3 cup of coffee (liquid)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.  Add the other ingredients and mix well.  Drop by teaspoonful (I used a small cookie scoop) on to a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake at 350 for 7 minutes.  Do not over bake!  Cool on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes then place on a wax paper covered cooling rack.  Do not stack the cookies or they may stick together.  The batter is thick but, I only baked 8 at a time to prevent them from running together during baking.

Whoopie Pie Filling
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 2 Tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (and/or flavoring of choice)
  • pinch of salt
Cook milk and flour, until a nice paste forms.  Stir well while cooking.  Cool the paste. (I find it's best to do this before I make the cookies)  Cream sugar and butter; add cold paste, vanilla and salt.  Beat about 10 minutes with an electric mixer.  Spread filling on one cookie, then place another on top.  

Makes 2+ dozen.
If you want to be extra generous with the filling, I recommend doubling the filling recipe.

They take a little extra time, but are so worth it!



Whoopie Pies

1 comment:

  1. Oh these were my favorite growing up!! We called them Gibs! We would make a ton of them and then put them in the refrigerator!!! So yummy when they are nice and cold!!! Just an extra tip for ya!!!
    :-)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete