Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Cherry Vanilla Valentine

I love Valentine's Day!!!

This year I made Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes, based on this recipe from Sweetapolita.  There is just something about Cherry Vanilla Cake that sounds fun and delicious, and pink!  This must have been a popular cake some years back because several people remember having it as kids.  I asked my mom if my grandmother used to make one.  She said yes, and it was my mother's birthday cake every year!  So, there is a recipe somewhere we need to find!

I wanted to serve the cake to small group on Wednesday, and then have it for our Valentine's dinner on Thursday, so I made cupcakes rather than a layer cake.  I made buttercream frosting and used cherry juice in place of milk.   The picture of the inside of the cupcake is not a good one, but it shows the cherry pieces and gives an idea of how it looks.   The cake is amazing!!!!

The cake recipe made 40 cupcakes using a large scoop; I baked them for 20 minutes at 350.

I am done using regular red food coloring because the pink isn't near as pretty/vibrant as when I use the gel food coloring.  I didn't have a red gel coloring, so I used the regular red food coloring which was OK, but not the deep color I wanted.  So, I guess I will just have to make these again!  I am sure I won't get any complaints! ;)

Small group loved the cupcakes!  I sent a dozen to work with Mr. SBQ and got all kinds of rave reviews, which of course made my day!

We celebrated Valentine's Day at home, as a family.  For dinner we had Kielbasa Wild Rice Soup with Butternut Squash, Waldorf Salad, and the cupcakes.   I made our placemats for a simple table decoration.  It was fun and Little C loved it!  Tonight I get my Valentine's Date! :)



Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes

Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes

Cherry Vanilla Cupcake - inside

Valentine Table

1 comment:

  1. I remember this cake! I remember it being great too! Love the table setting....

    Erica

    ReplyDelete