Monday, July 8, 2013

Applesauce Spice Bread

Not long ago I had the PA Grange Cookbook out and was making cole slaw.  Little C started flipping through the Grange Cookbook, reading out different recipe titles.  I heard "applesauce spice bread" and said "wait! go back to that one!"  Applesauce, cinnamon, nutmeg........I had to try it.   We made a trip to the store to buy applesauce and allspice.  I immediately went home and made a batch.  Delicious!   Super moist!  

I made the bread in 2 medium size loaf pans, but next time I will try it in my large stoneware loaf pan.  For this first one I made the topping, but it absorbs in to the top of the loaf and gets sticky after the first day.  It was kind of messy taking it in and out of the bag to slice each day.  Even with applesauce that did not have any added sugar, the bread was a little too sweet for me.  That is another reason I will leave the topping off next time.  The bread stayed pretty moist in the refrigerator until Little C had enjoyed it all - one slice at a time as part of breakfast.  The last day it was getting a little dry so we put some butter on it and it was good!

Here is the recipe, slightly adapted from the Pennsylvania Grange Cookbook.

Applesauce Spice Bread
1 1/4 cups applesauce (no sugar added)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup extra light olive oil (or cooking oil)
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
(1/4 teaspoon salt - if I used, it was 2 quick grinds of sea salt)
1/2 cup of walnuts (slightly chopped/mostly whole)

Topping (optional)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix applesauce, sugar, oil, milk and eggs.  Sift all dry ingredients and stir in to applesauce mixture.  Beat well.  Fold in the walnuts.  Pour in to a well greased loaf pan.  Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the batter.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  (I did not write it down, my I think my smaller loaves took over an hour)  Cool on a wire rack.  Enjoy!

Applesauce Spice Bread

1 comment: