Friday, February 24, 2012

Whoopie Pies Round 2

Last weekend I attempted to perfect the Whoopie Pie recipe that I tried out in January.
Wow!  They were amazingly rich!   I will have to make them smaller and use less filling next time.  I compared this recipe with one that my mother had used and made a modification in the amount of flour.  The texture was perfect - so moist!  I also added espresso powder and baked a for a little less time than the last ones.  I made the same marshmallow filling, but was going for a darker color.  The filling ended up being a pretty raspberry pink, but was not what I had wanted as far as color.

So, in the next round of whoopie pies I am going to try a different filling recipe and do some food color experimenting.   I may also try the recipe that my mother had used - it uses coffee rather than espresso powder, so they may not be as rich.  There is only one way to find out!

Last night I made Pistachio Gelato!  The difficult part of the recipe was finding pistachio cream/paste.  I found the recipe almost 2 months ago, and last weekend found the pistachio cream at Williams Sonoma.  We had checked at specialty food stores, Central Market, and an Italian market; I was about to order off of Amazon when a quick trip in to WS produced the little green jar of gold.
The recipe was not complicated and the result was delicious!  I did not take a picture for two reasons; 1. I had two people eagerly awaiting their surprise dessert, and 2. it just looked like green ice cream in white bowls.  I will have to think about the photo staging for the next batch.

As we have a birthday coming up in our household, there will be chocolate cake in the near future.
I also have 1 more Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe to try out, along with a few other Test Kitchen Trials.
So many things I want to make, but only so many taste testers!



Whoopie Pie with Marshmallow Filling

1 comment:

  1. I will always be a taste tester for you :)

    Casey

    ReplyDelete