Friday, March 2, 2012

Birthday Cake!

Last Sunday Little C and I made Daddy his birthday cake.
The pictures are not the best, but you can see that it was a super moist cake.
She had the choice of making cupcakes or a this cake (based on a similar picture).
Who wouldn't choose this one with all the yummy layers and textures!?!
It was GOOD!

We started out with my favorite chocolate cake.
I made a new buttercream frosting (love it!)
We took a few shortcuts, which I would not do again.  I was just trying to avoid a trip to the grocery store for 2 items on a Sunday afternoon.
The filling is the buttercream frosting with chocolate chips in it.  The recipe called for mini chips, and since we had lots of regular chocolate chips, we chopped them up.
The ganache is where I misjudged.  I did not have heavy cream, but still had whole milk from the pistachio gelato, so I used that.  At first I made the mistake of using the full amount - huge mistake, which common sense would tell you, but we had been cooking our special dinner all afternoon, and I wasn't thinking clearly.  So, batch 1 of the ganache went down the drain.  I am kinda glad because it had butter in it as well, and the ganaches I have made before have just been cream and chocolate.  I think the butter would have made it too rich, and this cake was not short on the richness factor at all.  So, I just melted chocolate chips and added a little bit of whole milk, stirred until smooth and drizzled over the cake.  The recipe had more ganache which covered the top and ran over the sides, but this did the job and was delicious!

Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting and Chocolate Ganache

Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting and Chocolate Ganache
Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting and Chocolate Ganache

No comments:

Post a Comment