Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Short Cake, Big Flavor

I am so behind in posting about my baking!

I made this strawberry shortcake the day after the jelly.  It was a new recipe, as I did not like the one I made last year (busy year, only one round of strawberry shortcake).  This one turned out well, Little C helped, and we added some extra sugar.  I added more sugar to the actual recipe, and Little C added an extra generous sprinkle of sugar to the top.  It had great texture and flavor.  I think I will make this recipe again, but make individual shortcakes - the batter seems to be thick enough to use the large cookie scoop to make small shortcakes.

I also tried a new brownie recipe that looks like boxed brownies, but is completely homemade.  It was not a photogenic brownie, so I did not even try to take a picture.  I baked them for the maximum amount of time and they appeared to be done, but I think they could have used 5-10 more minutes.  It's not a good thing to over-bake a brownie and I did not want to risk it.  The recipe also called for a combination of milk and semisweet chocolate; they were good and rich, but I think I will use only semisweet chocolate next time.  So, I will try them again with one kind of chocolate and bake them a little longer.

I have made several banana breads lately and I have mixed them by hand, rather than using the mixer.  They turn out much better!  I am not taking pictures because I make banana bread a lot and they all kind of look the same.

Up next......chocolate cupcakes, brownies, whoopie pies and/or chocolate chip cookies.

Strawberry Shortcake

No comments:

Post a Comment