Friday, October 5, 2012

Orecchiette Pasta

Something different for pasta night!  This recipe from the September 2012 Better Homes and Gardens looked interesting to me.  I have 3 pasta recipes that I have been wanting to make, when I could get the appropriate fresh ingredients for them.   (One of the others has fresh figs and another has asparagus)

I had homemade ricotta that Mr. SBQ had made for me, so I used that and a fresh grated Parmesan.  I didn't measure the Parmesan, so I am not sure how much I used, but I will use more next time.  The red is the chard stems, not pancetta which it looks like in the photo.  The dish is pretty, fresh and flavorful!

Orecchiette with Ricotta and Chard Pan Sauce
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens September 2012

1    bunch Swiss Chard
3/4 lb. dried orecchiette
2    Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2    Tbsp. butter (unsalted)
-     Crushed red pepper - dash+ to taste
2    oz. freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup fresh, whole-milk ricotta cheese
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Ground nutmeg
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Bring large pot of generously salted water to boiling.  Separate chard stems from leaves; cut both in to bite-size pieces.  Add orecchiette to boiling water.  Set timer for 10 minutes
Meanwhile, for pan sauce, in a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat.  Add chard stems; cook 3-5 minutes until crisp-tender.
After 10 minutes, add chard leaves to cooked pasta (still in boiling water); cook 2 minutes more.  Drain, reserving about 1/4 cup of cooking liquid.  Return pasta and chard to the pot; place over lowest heat setting.  Add chard stems and any residual oil to pasta, along with butter, crushed red pepper, and reserved cooking liquid.  Grate in Parmesan; toss.  Season with pepper and nutmeg.  Divide among bowls.  Top each with 1 Tbsp. ricotta (at least double is better).  Add sea salt, pepper, and additional Parmesan to taste.

The recipe says it makes 4 servings, but they are large servings and we got 2 meals out of it.  (About 6 servings)

Enjoy!

Orecchiette with Ricotta and Chard Pan Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment