Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sweet Brownie Queen Birthday

Happy Birthday to my blog - Sweet Brownie Queen is 1 year old!!!!!
A fancy birthday dessert would have been good, and I may still make one today, but I was pressed for time (always, ugh) and still obsessed with the mini muffin pan brownies.  Plus, I figured I should do something with my original Sweet Brownie Queen Brownies.  The result is what we are calling Brownie Buttons. :)

After last week's "adventure" I didn't want to fill the mini muffin cups too full, so I ended up with tiny brownies.  Here is how it started: As I said yesterday, I just got a mini muffin pan and wanted to make everything mini muffin size.  I needed to make something for small group last week and thought I would just whip up some brownies.  I knew it wasn't the best idea to experiment at the last minute, but I ignored all reason and went forward.  I made the recipe that has the box brownie look, but isn't, of course.  I used my medium scoop and filled each muffin cup.  I quickly looked at 2 brownie bite recipes and figured 15 minutes was a good bake time.  Now, this recipe has some baking powder in it, so they rose a little and had muffin like tops which made it very hard (impossible) to easily loosen the edges and get the brownies out.  Also, this is a chewier brownie so it pretty much fell apart when I tried to remove each one from the muffin cups.  That is when I realized the tops would come off easily and I served them since they looked good (that perfect brownie glazed look) and tasted great.   Thankfully I also had the towering pink cake to share.

But, I do not deal well with baking failures, so I am determined to get this right.  Last night I made my classic secret brownie recipe and used the small cookie scoop to fill the muffin cups.  I sprinkled each one with a little sea salt.  15 minutes was a perfect bake time for these and they came out of the pan very easily.  Since this recipe doesn't have any baking powder or soda in it, they did not rise and overflow at the edges.  I would have liked them to be a little bigger and next time I will fill the cups a little fuller. I may be able to use the medium scoop since these don't grow any during baking.

I really like that other brownie recipe for a regular brownie, as an alternative to my super rich dark brownies.  I am determined to get them to turn out well in the muffin pan too.  It might not be feasible since they are so chewy, but I will try one more time.  I will put less batter in each cup and bake a little longer.

I want to try out a new cupcake recipe, make some pumpkin desserts, and another zucchini cake, but I may be stuck on these little brownies for awhile!

The Blog Birthday Celebration will stretch out for the rest of the week........my motivation to make something other than brownies! ;)
Brownie Buttons with Sea Salt

1 comment: