Sunday, October 21, 2012

Cupcakes!

Oh for the perfect vanilla cupcakes!  These are so delicious!

The Bakery-Style Cupcake post on one of my favorite blogs, Sweetapolita, caught my eye.
They are quite easy to make; the only thing I didn't have on hand was self-rising flour.  I couldn't find it at Whole Foods for another recipe, so I made my own and I don't think the recipe turned out as well.  I found Gold Medal brand at Kroger, and used it for this recipe.

The recipe says it makes 24, so I tried to fit the batter in to 24 cupcakes and it made them too big.  Next time I will make a few additional cupcakes with the extra batter and not try to get it in to the 24.  I used a #40 scoop and it was the perfect amount for each cupcake, so they are contained in the paper.   I had used the smaller scoop to go back and add to each cupcake and there was not enough to add to each of the 24 cupcakes.  So, at least I was able to compare the smaller (purple paper) and larger cupcakes (orange paper).

Since it is almost Halloween, I used orange and purple cupcake papers, and orange frosting.  Little C helped me with the frosting and we kept adding red and yellow food coloring to try to get the right orange.  It looked orange enough in the bowl, but was still a little too light on the cupcakes.  I will get orange food coloring gel for the next ones.  I only made 1/2 the frosting recipe because I didn't want to have tons of frosting left over like I did for the giant pink cake.  Well, I was wrong with this one and ran out of frosting on the last cupcake.  Also, if I had had more frosting and the smaller cupcake tops, I could have completely and very generously covered each cupcake.

Now for the taste - so incredible!  The cake texture is perfect and the flavor is exactly what you would expect a bakery style vanilla cupcake taste like.  They even seemed to be more moist the next day.  After I got over my icing frustration, I was extremely pleased with the cupcakes.  I am looking forward to making them for Little C's pumpkin party at school, along with super chocolaty cupcakes.  

The recipe is also on Food Network, so I have included links to both.
Click here or here for the recipe.

Vanilla Cupcake with Orange Frosting

Vanilla Cupcake with Orange Frosting

Vanilla Cupcakes with Orange Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment