Thursday, November 29, 2012

Apple Pie

I don't really make pies; I am not a pie person, but last week I made 2.

Little C had never had apple pie and had been asking me how it was made.  Well, there was only one way to educate her on the All-American dessert.  We made it together, based on the Perfect Apple Pie recipe from the PA Grange Cookbook.  I didn't make my crusts - I bought them to save time, but I think I will go back to making my own because that's like using a cake mix - I don't like to do it!

The pie was very good and it made me want to make another apple pie.

I made a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, using the Libby's recipe.  It was good, but did not turn out as pretty as last year's.

Below is the recipe for the Apple Pie:

6-7 Tart Apples - I used 5 or 6 large Jonagold Apples
1 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Milk
Dash Nutmeg
2 Tablespoons Butter

Pare and slice apples thin - I cut the slices in to 1/2 inch pieces.
Add the milk to the apples and toss to coat.
Combine sugar, cornstarch, and spices; mix with apples.
Put in a 9 inch pastry lined pie pan; dot with butter.
Add top crust and sprinkle with sugar (Oh dear! I forgot the extra sugar)
Bake at 400 for 50 minutes.

As the picture shows, I put mine on a foil lined baking pan to catch any overflows.

Several people have mentioned that they wanted to see what I did for Thanksgiving.  There was really nothing out of the ordinary.  I made homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, corn pudding and the pumpkin pie.  Mr. SBQ made the turkey, stuffing/dressing, gravy and Brussels sprouts.  Our neighbors that joined us brought ham, and pecan pie bars.  It was a very good feast, but I didn't try out anything new this year.  I figured there was only so much food 7 people could eat; especially since 3 of them were little people. :)

I am working on my inspiration for Christmas.  I am still not sure what my new treats are going to be this year.  I have a few ideas, but am still searching.  Maybe I will make some pies! ;)

Apple Pie

Apple Pie Slice
Pumpkin Pie Slice

No comments:

Post a Comment