Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Halloween Part 2 - Nancy Drew Costume

On the day of the pumpkin party at Little C's school, the children could dress up as their favorite book character.  While the rooms were being set up for the parties, the children had a book parade where they marched around in their costumes with their books.

Little C loves Nancy Drew books, so that is who she wanted to be for the party.  This was a bit of a challenge at first, but I came up with a costume that she was super excited about and was easy to wear at school all day.  I started with the shirt - I used iron-on letters on the front to spell out Nancy Drew (kids still asked her who she was); I used paint markers on the back to write things like mystery, clues, Nancy, Bess, George, who did it, and lots of ???'s.  I said I need a fat 80's type belt for the detective belt and to my delight I found an "80's style belt" in the costume section at Target!  The belt had a cell phone, lock picking kit, magnifying glass and finger print kit.  I tied the magnifying glass on with it's attached cord, and attached everything else with Velcro.  The cell phone was an old one that has been retired for some time.  The lock picking kit was made out of the sleeve that the magnifying glass came in, bobby pins and credit card (an old club membership card covered in pink duct tape).   The finger print kit was in an Altoids box - I cut a small paint brush, used a cap from a small make-up sample, and cut pieces of a plastic envelope for the slips to lift the finger prints with.   It's good to know that my Criminalistics Class from college has finally paid off! ;)
Nancy Drew Costume

Nancy Drew Shirt - Back

Detective Belt - Right

Detective Belt - Left

Finger Print Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment