Sunday, August 19, 2012

S'mores - No Campfire, No Problem!

As we start this last week of summer vacation, I am going to try to get caught up on my blogging!
Last week, I vowed to do the same thing and the week flew by without a single post.  Yikes!

We recently went to Pennsylvania for a visit to my family, and made a visit to Hershey.  I had two Hershey Bars sitting in the pantry, from our Chocolate Tasting Class (fun! & yum!).  I thought I might make something with them, rather than just enjoy them plain.  I was reading food blogs and stumbled upon a recipe for S'mores Cookies!  So, thanks to Two Peas & Their Pod, I had my solution for what to do with the two Hershey Bars. 

I don't normally have mini chocolate chips in the house, so I used a chef's knife to make my regular size  chips at little more mini.  I only used 1 cup of regular chips and they could have used a little more chocolate - next time I will use the 2 cups of mini chips.  I also used 2 cups of flour rather than the 1 1/2 that the original recipe called for.  I started out with 1 1/2 cups of flour and the batter looked too thin/sticky, so I added a 1/4 cup and baked a few cookies.  The cookies were a little flat, so I added another 1/4 cup and they came out much better.  They all tasted the same - delicious.  I baked about 2/3 of the recipe and used the 2 Hershey Bars.  I froze the remaining dough and baked them a couple days later.  I used another 1 1/2 Hershey Bars (another trip to the store) for the rest of the cookies.  These tasted just as good, if not better, as the first round.  They don't last very long though, the first and second days they are moist, then they dry out.

So, any time you have an urge for S'mores and there isn't a campfire in sight, these will hit spot!


S'mores Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment