Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Muffins You Can Feel Good About

I am always looking for something interesting and healthy for breakfast and mid-morning snacks.   I found this recipe for Banana Nut Oat Bran Muffins awhile back and finally made it.

It is very healthy with oat bran, walnuts, bananas, egg whites, and agave nectar/honey.  (Click the recipe link for the full recipe).  The biggest hurdle I had, was did the recipe mean Oat Bran Flour or Oat Bran Cereal.  (Remember that Oat Bran Flour I had plenty of?)  I had never bought Oat Bran, so I had no idea!  The first time I looked for it, I poured over the grains and flours in the baking aisle.  The only thing I could find was the flour, so I bought it.  This didn't look right with the other recipe ingredients, so of course I consulted my mom.  After that I went to the cereal aisle and found a box of Oat Bran Hot Cereal.  I then had a package of super fine Oat Bran Flour and a package of extra coarse Oat Bran Cereal.   These muffins are quite easy to mix up.  I used a large cookie scoop to fill each muffin liner and I had more than 12 muffins.  I think it would have been better to distribute the extra batter between the 12 muffin cups, for larger muffins.  Next time I will test them at 10 minutes rather then 12.  They are very good, but crumble if you are not careful about how you eat them.  I think by making each muffin a little bigger and baking less, that will solve the crumble issue.  There is a lot of chewing required with all that oat bran, but the flavor is wonderful and you feel like you have eaten something that was good for you.  Even Little C loves them, so it adds healthy variety to breakfasts.
Banana Nut Oat Bran Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment