Friday, August 31, 2012

I'm In Love With A Food Processor

I never knew I could like a food processor so much!
If you have a been reading for awhile, you know that I first used a food processor this year.  Mr. SBQ had an older model when we got married, and I just used it when a recipe called for it.  A month or so ago, I was going to make cole slaw and we discovered that the adaptor for the slicing blades was no longer around.  So, much to my delight, I got to order a new food processor.  I can tell you all kinds of food processing information because I read reviews for 2 weeks.  I decided on a Kitchen Aid KFP1333 and I have totally bonded with this appliance!  The picture below is the quick pic I took to send to Mr. SBQ when it got here, to show how huge it was compared to the little white dinosaur we had.

If you are a long time food processor user, you are probably thinking, "well duh, of course it's wonderful," but this is still new to me and I am super excited!

I used it four times in the last 2 days.  First to make an amazing Cole Slaw, then to grate the zucchini for the cake.  I thought I would use the regular grater for the zucchini, but after grating a little bit, decided to use the food processor - wow!  Yesterday I used it for the energy bars (I used almond butter this time and they were great) and then for the healthy yummy meatloaf.  It's incredible!!!

About the cole slaw.  I never really considered myself a fan of cole slaw, but I do like some varieties.   We had some cabbage and so I consulted my chief cooking resource (Mom) and she told me she uses a recipe from Grange Cookbook.  So, below is an adapted recipe from the Pennsylvania State Grange Cookbook.  We love this Cole Slaw and I have made it several times already - it's actually pretty healthy.  If you need a side for the last weekend of summer, it would be a perfect one!

There isn't a picture of the cole slaw - the food processor picture is more exciting than a dish of cole slaw. (plus I didn't take one).

Cole Slaw
2-3 cups of grated cabbage (about 1/2 head)
1 carrot grated
1+ Tablespoon of dried parsley (or 1/2 cup fresh)
6 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
6 Tablespoons sugar
4 Tablespoons olive oil
Sea Salt and Pepper (I used a few grinds of each)

Mix/blend/shake the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt & pepper.
Stir in to the cabbage, carrot and parsley; chill for several hours.
Enjoy!
Kitchen Aid Food Processor & The Antique It Replaced

No comments:

Post a Comment