Friday, August 24, 2012

Health Nut

Something healthy today!
The Trivita VitaJournal newsletter had a Homemade Energy Bar recipe recently.  I finally bought the ingredients and have made them twice.  Once with dates and once with figs.  I think I prefer the dates.  It calls for any kind of nut butter, so for the first batches I used peanut butter since I have plenty of that on hand.   Ideally I would use natural peanut butter, but I used Peter Pan for the experimental batches.  I would like to try it with different butters to compare the tastes.

The recipe sounded good, but I was shocked at how delicious the bars are!   They are a perfect little pick-me-up snack!

I made the first ones in to balls, using the small cookie scoop.  This method made about 18.  The second batch was pressed in to a 9" square dish, and it only filled up about 1/2 the dish.  The bars may look better too, but either way they are good!

Homemade Energy Bars
(from Trivita's VitaJournal)

1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried figs or dates
1/2 cup nut or seed butter (recipe calls for almond, I used peanut)

Place the first 4 ingredients in the food processor.  Chop until everything is ground together.
Add the nut/seed butter and mix until combined.  Roll in to balls or press in to an 8" round cake pan.
Keep refrigerated. (makes about 2 dozen, if cut in to 1" squares)

Warning: they are a bit addicting! :)
Energy Bars with Figs

Energy Bars with Dates

No comments:

Post a Comment